Friday, September 14, 2012

K-pop and hip hop


Big Bang in the old days from left to right: TOP, Seungri, Taeyang, Daesung, and G-Dragon

   I never imagined that K-pop would become this big. When I was introduced to the genre three years ago, I wasn't interested in it all. However, K-pop is such a strong force that made me listen to it again and again. Take PSY (싸이) who sang the famous Gangnam Style (강남 스타을). Big Bang (빅뱅) and 2NE1 (투애니원) became my favourite groups, and they're the only ones I really liked. There must be something about their talent agency, because Big Bang (빅뱅), 2NE1 (투애니원) , and PSY (싸이) are all in the same agency, YG Entertainment.

Big Bang Alive Album Promotional Poster

 2NE1 photo

   These artists are very popular in South Korea. Idol groups (or K-pop groups) are the most popular because they look good, sing, and dance. PSY, who's real name is Park Jae Sang (박재상), is also a rapper. He was already familiar to me because I see him when I watch YG Family interviews, but I never noticed him until I listened and watched his Gangnam Style (강남 스타을) music video. I'm not surprised if it has more than 160 million views because it's really a catchy song. Here's a live performance of the song at the Summer Stand Live Concert:


    I still don't know yet whether I'll get tired of listening to this song or not. I don't listen to it everyday, but the song and dance routine are so catchy that I find myself listening and watching it once a week. To anyone who is introduced to k-pop for the first time, PSY is a good example. After PSY, you can start exploring the different idol groups. And because I'm biased, listen to Big Bang and 2NE1 first (but more on Big Bang). After listening to these artists, you can then begin expanding and pick your idols. You can try these artists: Se7en, Super Junior, Wonder Girls, and Girls Generation. There are a lot more idol bands out there (and I mean a lot), but since I'm not familiar with them you can just visit allkpop for your K-pop idol needs. 

Big Bang performing "Fantastic Baby" at SBS Inkigayo and being their playful selves

2NE1 performing "I Love You" at SBS Inkigayo
YG Entertainment

    I'm not too familiar with the Korean hip hop scene either.  Big Bang does hip hop too, but not every song. I only know two hip hop artists, and they are Epik High (에픽하이) and LeeSsang (리쌍). I can't remember how I was introduced to Epik High; I think it was because I used to spend a lot of my free time listening to Korean artists on youtube and Epik High was on one of the recommended videos. I don't really listen to them, although they do have good songs. Here's Map the Soul (Worldwide version)

    
    As for LeeSsang, my friend Borj introduced me to this hip hop duo months ago, but I never got into them. Probably because my friend didn't show me this song until my other friend showed it to me:


   Though Epik High and LeeSsang are both good hip hop groups, I prefer LeeSsang's songs (Don't worry Tablo I'll always have a soft spot for you ^__^).

    If this is your first time listening to k-pop and Korean hip hop and you don't understand Korean (or 한글) and would like to appreciate the song better by understanding and knowing what the words mean, you can look them up (or Google them). There are a lot of fansubbers online, and they're wonderful fans who are willing to translate Korean, Japanese, or Chinese songs for us who don't speak these languages. Just like Gangnam Style, I was able to appreciate it more after I googled the translated english lyrics. Same with Big Bang, 2NE1, and LeeSsang. So to anyone who's new to k-pop and hip hop, good luck! There are so many choices out there. 

2 comments:

  1. I was introduced to the world of J-pop when I visited Japan - these groups look equally intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K-pop is my new favourite music genre. I must find some more songs now.

    ReplyDelete