Monday, July 9, 2012

This takes up most of my time these days,

And I can't help but let it control my life. At least during the weekends. I make it sure that I watch the raw episodes on Saturdays and Sundays at noon or early in the afternoon and rewatch the subbed episodes late at night. Or if I liked the episode, I would watch it again in a better resolution. A Gentleman's Dignity (신사의 품격) is Kim Eun-sook's latest drama offering. Her last hit drama, Secret Garden (시크릿 가든), starring Ha Ji-won and Hyun Bin, wasn't the best for me despite the actors' stellar performances. I'm not saying 신 품 is better though. It took the series three or four episodes (?) for the main couple to get together and Colin's father plot to unveil. Episode 14 is the beginning of the melodrama genre of show, so I expect the succeeding episodes to have lots of crying, angst, and noble idiocy. I'm relieved that Colin's side story picked up; but I'm not really interested in his story because it's an overused cliche in Kdramaland. I'd rather see other story lines pick up, like Yi-soo's student Dong-hyub and Min-sook and Jung-rok's story.


   It's not the best drama. It's fluff. It's full of fillers. I still have no idea what's going to happen to all the characters. But I care what happens to them, so that's why I'm sticking until the end. And besides, I've already seen 14 episodes (not just once); would I really drop show and watch another one (or live in the real world)? No thank you. I've spent almost 15 hours to drop it now. Even though show is senseless, I still like it because it relaxes me after a long day. If you want to critique, analyse, or dissect a show, go watch another drama, preferably a mystery or crime genre.

   I don't know if the pictures and screen caps are considered spoilers, so I'm warning you just in case. But the real warning is that I posted lots of pictures from show--some may be NSFW, but don't worry, this is a Korean drama airing in one of the major broadcasters so the scenes are still kid-friendly. And again, there are lots of pictures. 

Why I love show (or why I'm sticking until the end):

1. Jang Dong-gun
Call me shallow, but... yeah. I first saw this man in All About Eve (이브의 모든것); I wasn't attracted to him at all even though I knew he was attractive and well-known (what can I say? I was young.). So when I saw him again in this drama I understood why he's the most popular man in South Korea. His expressive eyes are what got me into him that I added his works on my watch-list. Friend (진구) and Tae Guk Gi (태 극 기) are first on my list and they should be yours too, if you are interested in his works (and the films themselves). 

Jang Dong-gun as Kim Do-jin



a photo spread for Cosmopolitan magazine


2. Kim Min-jong, Kim Soo-ro, and Lee Jong-hyuk 
I haven't seen the first two in any drama yet, but I'm already familiar with them. And through this show, I have appreciated them more. As for Lee Jong-hyuk, I saw him Green Rose (그린 로즈) with Go Soo and Lee Da-hae where he played the villain. He was so evil in that show that I despised him a lot (mostly his character. But he was so good that I told myself I was never going to watch another drama of his again.). I still don't like his character much in the show, but I like him as an actor.

Long-time friends Kim Min-jong and Jang Dong-gun

Kim Min-jong as Choi Yoon



 Kim Soo-ro as Im Tae-san


Lee Jong-hyuk as Lee Jung-rok

3. The Bromance
Without this, show wouldn't be a show. There are no words to describe their reel and real-life bromance. If it wasn't for the F44's female partners, the F44 could be partners themselves. 




Heh.

Do-jin feeding annoyed Tae-san

you're welcome. btw, the F44 are in their 40s (in reel and real life).

Do-jin's face. haha. 


Yoon and Do-jin drinking

4. Show's Main OTP
Jang Dong-gun and Kim Ha-neul. Kim Do-jin and Seo Yi-soo. I like the actors more than the characters individually (see number 1.; and I like Kim Ha-nuel in films that I've seen her in). Do-jin and Yi-soo are both flawed characters together and separately, and it's good that they have chemistry. I've read in blogs and forums that some people don't see the chemistry between the two, but for me, their chemistry works. He's an arrogant and controlling playboy and she's an Ethics high school teacher who seems childish and fickle at times. They argue and bicker but sweet when they need to. And jealous Do-jin is sexy (sometimes. Because when he hit another car because of Yi-soo, that was not romantic; that was stupid and possessive. But I *sort of* forgive him because he's played by Jang Dong-gun. Did I say how much I love Jang Dong-gun? His wife, Ko So-young, is so lucky.). 

OTP first kiss

OTP back hug

OTP hugging

Kim Ha-neul as Seo Yi-soo



A Gentleman's Dignity OST part 6 cover

finally together! after so many episodes -__-

rawr. of course there's a reason why they're in this position. Do-jin savoured this moment--you can see it in his eyes in the pictures below. 




rawr.

his eyes! *spoiler* here, he says to Tae-san, who's on the other side of the door, "You know I love you, right?" while looking at Yi-soo.

I know, I know. Jang Dong-gun's body here is not the best, but he just finished filming Dangerous Liaisons and went straight to filming this show. Due to his busy schedule he lost weight which shows in this drama.

5. Kim Dong-hyub and Seo Yi-soo
A forbidden one-sided romance on Dong-hyub's part. He gets into trouble, teacher pleads to the police officer. He defends her from students who don't like her. He gets into an accident, she acts as his guardian. I hope there's more to his story line; I want Do-jin to be jealous of Dong-hyub so he'll realize how significant Yi-soo is in his life (did I say I love a jealous Do-jin?).

caught by Teacher Yi-soo

Kim Woo-bin as Kim Dong-hyub

concerned Dong-hyub

6. Show's Three Other OTPs
Im Tae-san and Hong Se-ra. When Seo Yi-soo fell in love with Im Tae-san, I liked his character too. But as the show progressed (until episode 14, that is), I have come to dislike him. He's too traditional and selfish so he deserves snobbish and proud Se-ra. I don't really care what happens to them in the end; they're my least favourite pair.

Kim Soo-ro as Im Tae-san and Yoon Se-ah as Hong Se-ra


Choi Yoon and Im Meari. Choi Yoon is older than Meahri by 17 years. She's head over heels in love with Yoon but he's very passive even though he likes her as well. But sometimes Meari annoys me due to her excessive crying, so I hope writer Kim changes Meari's character. I care about this couple, so I hope they'll be together in the end with Tae-san approving their relationship.

uh-oh: Tae-san, Meari, and Yoon


sleeping Meari and torn Yoon

Lee Jung-rok and Park Min-sook. Based on what I've seen so far (and what writer Kim has introduced to the audience), Jung-rok married Park Min-sook because she's rich. It makes him very shallow because he's an immature playboy who hits on younger women. I still don't know why Min-sook married him, but she's one of the best characters in show. She's strong and independent, so I'm wondering why she married him because she clearly doesn't deserve him. I'm curious as to what happens to them in the end. If she finally divorces him (because she does that throughout the show), I would be glad. But if they still end up together in the end, Jung-rok must prove himself worthy of her. As much as I like Jung-rok sometimes due to his comic antics, (because he's amazingly played by Lee Jong-hyuk), I don't think I would like to be friends with a Jung-rok in real life. 

Kim Jung-nam as Park Min-sook and Lee Jong-hyuk as Lee Jung-rok


Min-sook angry at Jung-rok

   There you have it. I love this drama, but I admit its flaws and dislike some characters and plot lines. But since I've already seen 14 episodes and invested my time and emotions to the characters, I'd rather watch it until the end. It frustrates me sometimes, I admit, but the fluff overshadows my frustrations to show. And angst makes me want to hit the characters. It relieves stress too, so that helps. I just hope I won't be disappointed in the ending. 

   I can't tell right now if it's a forgettable show, but since I've seen Kim Eun-sook's Lovers in Paris, City Hall, and Secret Garden and found them forgettable, I hope this drama would linger in my mind for a long time--especially since this is Jang Dong-gun's comeback drama after 12 years.



author's notes:

   Why F44? This originally came from Javabeans. F44 is derived from F4 (of Boys Over Flowers or Hana Yori Dango) who are young flower boys. These men in A Gentleman's Dignity are in their 40s (in reel and real life) but possess the qualities of a flower boy: good-looking and/or pretty. Thus, F44.


Photos with logo are from SBS and photos with names of news agencies are properties of said agencies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment