Thursday, October 25, 2012

I speak Tagalog!

I'm one of those Filipinos who speak Tagalog and English. 

Growing up, I never thought that bilingualism was a privilege. I've been communicating in Tagalog and English since I was a child, so switching between the two languages was normal for me. I never thought that I could use this skill when I came here to Canada. 

Living in Winnipeg, I have never thought that Tagalog is the fastest-growing language in Canada. I always think that Filipinos are just everywhere I go around the city. It never occurred to me that Tagalog will become one of the most-spoken languages in the country.

I read this news Wednesday on Twitter (it's amazing how I get news from Twitter first than other media outlets). My initial reaction? Indifferent. Disinterested. I'm still trying to figure out why I don't care too much about this news. I don't mind that Tagalog is on the list of fastest-growing language in the 2011 Census from Statistics Canada. I don't mind it either if it's not on the list. It doesn't really matter to me. 

To some Filipinos, this may make them feel proud. And I understand why they would feel that way. They feel proud because anything Filipino-related is recognized in Canada--not just in the Philippines, but in Canada. A foreign country. And Filipinos can get patriotic too. Ever heard of Manny Pacquiao? Yeah, that's another story.

As for me, it's not too much of a big deal. It doesn't really make me proud like what some Filipinos feel. But I'm not ashamed that I speak this language. 

What matters to me though is that even though Tagalog is one of the commonly-spoken languages in Canada, Filipinos should still learn the English language to adapt in this country and respect the culture. 

On a side note, I think I'll start posting blog posts about languages from now on. 

-----------------
Sources:

Mackrael, Kim. "Tagalog fastest-growing language in Canada, data show." The Globe and Mail. Oct. 24, 2012.

"Bilingualism growing, but not in French and English." CBC News. Oct. 24, 2012.

Simons, Paula. "No matter the language spoken, aspirations remain the same." Edmonton Journal. Oct. 25, 2012.

Sanders, Carol. "Can you say that in Tagalog?" The Winnipeg Free Press. Oct. 25, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. You may be uninterested, but this blog post proves you are not disinterested.

    ReplyDelete