Saturday, October 6, 2012

Winter? What winter?

Having lived in a tropical country for nineteen years and moving to a cold country is a change for me. I was so used to the usual 20 to 25 C during the rainy season from June to February and 30 to 35 C weather during the hot summer months from March to May. It's also very humid in the city too. This was what I was used to before I arrived here in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I touched snow for the first time when I arrived here on December 2007. I was excited. I played in the snow like a child. 

Now, I still complain about the weather. At least I'm not the only one. But sometimes I try to appreciate the winter here in Winnipeg because that's the only way I don't get depressed. It's good to see the good little things in life because it brings a smile to our faces. So here are the things that I think about when the dreaded winter comes.

Be grateful. Even if it's -40 C and there's a blizzard or a storm, be thankful that you survived this weather your whole life in Winnipeg (either you were born, grew up, or moved here). There are some places in the world that live in conditions with harsher weathers, where people don't survive a landslide or typhoon, so we should be grateful that we're able to survive the winter months without hibernating. 

Appreciate winter. Don't you just love looking at the snowflakes? They have different shapes and sizes and whenever they fall on the ground or on trees and accumulate over time they're beautiful to look at.

Celebrations. Whether it's Christmas, New Year's, Orthodox Christmas and New Year's, Chinese New Year, Hanukkah, or whatever you're celebrating during the winter months (like your birthday), have fun and be glad that you're given another year to celebrate it.

Family and friends. Just think about the people you spend with everyday. Be it your parents, siblings, partner, close friends, or roommates that eventually turned into friends, you can always talk to them if you need a pick-me-up after getting off the bus and walking home through a blizzard. A simple "How are you?" will make you warm inside after standing in the cold when that bus didn't come. Or a smile in their faces would change your mood. 

So as we celebrate Thanksgiving or the long weekend, let's spend time with our family and friends and not dread about winter. I guess it's alright to dread it because I do too, but not to the point that you'll get really depressed. It's important to be grateful and appreciate the little things that life brings. Winter is not worth your time to get depressed and hibernate--there are far better things you can spend your time on and the weather is not one of them.

         ----------------------------------------------------------
While I'm on a roll, I want to share another activity that makes me happy: listening to music. Whenever I'm depressed (either because of the weather or that I have to get up early in the morning), I listen to these songs because they wake me up and puts a smile on my face. It doesn't hurt that I like these bands too.


"Sunshine" by Bamboo

"Good day" by Barbie's Cradle
In another version, she sings "Today's the day" instead of Nescafe. 

"These days" by Bamboo

"Sunburn" by Sandwich

"Summertime" by Moonpools and Caterpillars

All artists featured are Filipino bands and based in the Philippines, except for Moonpools and Caterpillars who were based in California. These are just a few of the artists that I listen to whenever I get up on a cold, dark winter morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment