Friday, January 11, 2013

Narrative Ads Part I: Nestle Philippines

Because I watch YouTube videos everyday, I come across related videos where some are interesting while some are boring. I rarely watch television these days so good thing there's YouTube. If it wasn't for YouTube, I wouldn't discover ads from Asia that run for five minutes or more on tv. 

This month, I will feature advertisements from Asian countries that has a narrative. They may also be a series of ads with a theme or story.

This week's ad is from the Philippines.

Two weeks ago I was looking at YouTube videos of my favourite Filipino artist (i.e., Up Dharma Down). One of the related links on the sidebar was a Nestle Philippines ad. I became curious so I watched the 12-minute video. It was worth it. Some were longer than 10 minutes, while some were shorter. Some where cliche, while some were funny. Some were heartwarming, while some were fluffy. 


Nestle Philippines celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2011. The well-known and established company in the country released a series of anthologies to celebrate their anniversary with the theme of "Kasambuhay Habambuhay" (Together Forever). These shorts appeal to the target market because of the resonating themes: family, love, friendship, and faith. These ads also allow the audience to get a glimpse of the Filipino culture. Nestle also hired popular actors and musicians in some of their shorts. 

There are 10 short films, and all of them run more than 5 minutes. Here are a few of the ads from their anthology. All videos are from the Nestle Philippines YouTube channel and have English subtitles. 


"Sign-seeker"



"Unplugged"



"A Cup of Miracles"



"Downtown"


What do you think about these shorts? I understand that some of these won't appeal to the North American audience, but as a reminder, these shorts were produced for a specific target market.

Part two will be a four-episode series from South Korea. 

If you have any questions about words that you want translated, just leave a comment and I would be happy to translate them for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment