Friday, January 18, 2013

Narrative Ads Part II: Toyota Camry

Lee Min ho is one of the most popular actors in South Korea. His popularity rose after he starred in Boys Over Flowers. Boys Over Flowers is the third Korean adaptation of the popular manga, Hana Yori Dango, by Kamio Yoko. 

Because Boys Over Flowers already had a steady following before the Korean adaptation, it was not difficult for this show to get a new following. Especially when the Korean F4 looked very similar to the manga characters. After the show, Lee Min ho became a household name in Korea.

Toyota released this four-part web series in 2011 for Toyota Camry 2012 The One & Only campaign. Word of warning: Turn off your brain because none of the episodes make sense that you'll only use your eyes and ears. Or you can skip the car sequences and shots because they're just everywhere (which is understandable, because this is a Toyota ad).






Now you understand why I hate it? Seems like the ad only focused on the visuals (cinematography and Lee Min ho) and main actor that the team didn't consider the plot and (horrible) script. I followed this web series two years ago and I remember that they released one episode per week. It kept the audience on their toes and they anticipated when the next episode will be released to know what happens to Lee Min ho's character (because at the end of the day, it's because of Lee Min ho why this web series has views).

Despite the confusing plot and nonsense, cheesy script, this ad appeals to the target market. Why? Because of Lee Min ho. It's very common in Asia for well-known actors to appear in ads. Actors in washer and dryer ads, hair styling products, fastfood restaurants, coffee shops, bakeries, and instant noodles. It doesn't matter what the product is, as long as the actor is in the ad. 

And while I was doing my research for this blog post, I discovered that Toyota released a second season (!). I didn't expect that. Although, maybe I shouldn't be surprised because it was up to Lee Min ho's contract with Toyota. I know it's not Min ho's fault because it's his job, but ... I just can't. The script. The acting of the second leads and extras. 

So here's the first episode of The One & Only Toyota Camry Season 2 if you hatg ro :


And of course I'll watch the rest of the season. I'll still cringe because of the cheesiness and terrible script and acting, and then that's it. 

So what do you think about actors featured in ads that one would never see in Western ads? 

Next week, I'll write about my favourite hair styling product ad endorsed by the most popular actors in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment