Friday, September 25, 2009

celebrating their independence

If you're ever in the Philippines at around July every year, you get to be a part of the annual Cinemalaya Film Festival held in Manila. This festival celebrated annually commemorates films and introduces 10 new independent filmmakers. You can get more information here, and it also features the winners and films shown during the festival.

I mentioned in my other post that I like watching Filipino movies. And this is one of them. Let's put aside the fact that I also watch Korean and Japanese movies as well as hollywood movies, because its already a given. For Filipino movies, I like seeing new ones made by creative and imaginative directors and writers. Just what makes a Filipino independent film really different? Well, for me, its the cleverness of it. How they were able to capture the real life of a regular citizen, how they cope on a day-to-day basis, the raw human emotions on each scene, everything is seen on a filmmaker's eyes. What you think is completely boring, would turn out into something very ingenious, which might be a heartbreaker in the end.

To some, this may sound funny, but if you haven't seen a Filipino movie yet, try Magnifico (2003). This movie won awards both national and international. I warn you though, this is a tearjerking movie; if you think you've cried enough while watching it, you'll cry even more after it. This movie revolves on a kid named Magnifico, who is a kind-hearted simpleton who just wants the best for his family. The involvement of his family and neighbors created the homely feel of the movie, which I think shows Filipinos as being family-oriented.

Just try to avoid spoilers though, so it'll be more exciting for you to never expect what will come up next. And please, I didn't link it to wiki as I really want you to avoid any spoiler as much as possible.

I can't think of any other examples yet, as I haven't seen some indie Filipino films lately, but I do hope you'll get to see one in the future. Oh, you could also try 'Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros' (The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros), filmed around the streets of Manila seen through this homosexual and growing teenager. You may think this is kind of like a slice of life movie, but I guess you can say that it is, in some way. And it's very interesting, I must say.

But just what is the best thing about these films? Well, its the lessons they convey. You may think that something as simple for a plot wouldn't teach you anything, but in the end, when the credits are rolling, you would start to ponder and contemplate on how it went. So really, if you ever have the time to be around Manila in July, you might just be lucky to catch these movies and enter the creative minds of these filmmakers who have invested themselves just to share it with everyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment