Wednesday, September 16, 2009

princesses of disguise

So I was browsing some sites when I bumped into this one, recommended by another poster on another site that I was always visiting. It looked interesting, so I decided to give it a try. I sort of know some bits of information on Korean culture and society, so I wasn't that surprised when I read the article. But it's disappointing really, to think that people can't be themselves on this country. They can't show who they really are, afraid that they'll be ostracized by the same society that they grew up with.

But then again, I can't really say much about it because it just so happened that this country remains nationalistic and patriotic at this time, even when trades, explorers, wars and conquerors transpired years back.

So I'm going to let you read the article first posted way back in 2003 by Huso Yi.

'Life and Death in Queer Korea'


Like I said, I won't be commenting much on this article, I just wanted to share it with you, to inform you, and to let you know what's happening to them and how this controversial matter is perceived on this country. And also, this topic would bring up a lot of other issues that some may not want to touch on. So, might as well just share this and again, no preaching and persuading, as I respect each and everyone's opinion on this subject.

2 comments:

  1. You know that part in the article where they say that Koreans would deny the existence of gay people in their country is true. I had a short stint teaching English to a bunch of Korean kids in their teens and one of them told me that no one in their country is gay. There's like one celebrity who's out of the closet and that's it. Everyone else is normal per se. Which makes me think that to certain extent, Filipinos are a bit more open-minded and well-adjusted when it comes to these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, these kids were taught to think that there are only two genders in their society, and other than that would be against their culture. I know you're also into Asian dramas and you can see the plots in some shows that they are starting to change the way they look into these issues like Personal Taste where he pretended to be gay to live with a woman. In this show, one character who's gay professed his love for the lead character. And this show gained good reviews, with nothing against the gay people. Actually there's this movie entitled No Regrets starring Kim Nam Gil. I have yet to watch this, but when I do, I might post something about it.

    ReplyDelete